Giancarlo Gandolfo - CURRICULUM VITAE
Current main affiliation: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome. Former professor of International Economics, Faculty of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome (retired).
Home address: Via Rodolfo Benini 7, 00191 Roma, Italy
E‑mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1956: secondary school diploma, Paris (at the Italian high school in Paris "Leonardo Da Vinci")
1956-57: Sorbonne, Paris (Cours de Civilisation française); École des Hautes Études Internationales, Paris; and University of London, Queen Mary College (Course in English Language, Literature, and Institutions)
1956-60: University of Rome, Faculty of Law
1960: “laurea” in law cum laude, University of Rome
1965,1966,1967,1968: post‑graduate courses in mathematical economics and econometrics held by R. Frisch, R. Goodwin, J. Hicks, T. Koopmans, E. Malinvaud, M. Morishima, H. Theil, etc. at CIME (International Mathematical Centre directed by Professor Bruno de Finetti)
1968: “libera docenza” in Economics, University of Rome
1961-65: staff economist, research department, Bank of Italy, Rome
1963-68: assistant professor of economics (tenured from 1965), Faculty of Economics, University of Rome
1968-70: associate professor of mathematical economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Siena
1970-74: full professor of economics, same
1974-2010: full professor of International Economics, Faculty of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome
Member, Editorial Board, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, since 1993
Advisory Editor, Macroeconomic Dynamics, since 1997
Associate Editor, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, since 2001
Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 1984‑87
Associate Editor and Book Review Editor, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 1985‑91
Member, Advisory Board, The New Palgrave Dictionary of Money and Finance
Co‑Editor, JOICE (Journal of International and Comparative Economics), 1992‑1997
Associate Editor, European Journal of Political Economy, 1986-1998
Associate Editor, Journal of Banking and Finance, 1995-2007
Member, Editorial Board, Review of International Economics, 1992-2009
Member, Editorial Board, International Economics and Economic Policy, 2004-2013
Consulted by international journals (American Economic Review, BNL Quarterly Review, Economic Modelling, Economic Notes, Empirical Economics, European Economic Review, European Journal of Political Economy, German Economic Review, International Regional Sciences Review, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Journal of International Money and Finance, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Journal of Macroeconomics, Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, etc.) and publishers (Cambridge U.P., Edward Elgar, Kluwer, Macmillan, Oxford U.P., Routledge, Springer, etc.) to act as referee for submitted articles and books.
Consulted by the National Science Foundations/Research Councils of various countries to evaluate submitted research proposals.
Consulted by foreign universities to evaluate the scientific production of candidates to promotion to full professor.
Recipient of the prize “Stefano Siglienti” in economics, 1973
Recipient of the prize “Premio St Vincent per l’economia” and of the prize “Premio Citta’ della Magna Grecia”, 1987
Research Fellow, CESifo, since 1999
Member, Scientific Committee, European Center for the Study of Public Choice, since 2000
Invited Annual Public Lecture, Deakin University (Australia), 2001
Honorary Professor, Deakin University (Australia), since 2004
Doctorate honoris causa in economics, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Frankfurt, 9th February 2006
Advances in international economics and economic dynamics, a Conference-Festschrift in honor of Giancarlo Gandolfo, Rome, 20-21 September 2010. Selections of the papers presented at this Conference have been published in a special issue of the Review of International Economics, Vol. 20, Issue 3, August 2012, and in a special issue of the Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, Vol 16, Issue 2, April 2012
Certificate of Merit with Medal, University of Rome La Sapienza, 21st December 2011.
Corresponding member, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, 2003-2015
National member, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, since 2015
1979: Director General, ISPE (Istituto Studi Programmazione Economica), Rome
1980-82: member, Commissione Generale per l’Informatica, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
1982-84: Director, Istituto di Economia Politica, Faculty of Economics and Commerce, University of Rome “La Sapienza”
1987-1993: member, Commissione di Ateneo per la ricerca scientifica, University of Rome “La Sapienza”
1988-91: Director of Graduate Studies in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Rome “La Sapienza”
1988: part time professor of economics, European University Institute, Florence
1989: visiting professor, Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna
1990: member, PhD Committee, University of Gothenburg (Sweden)
1990 and 1991: part time professor of economics, Temple University abroad, Rome
1990-96: member, Selection Committee for College of Europe, British Council, and other fellowships, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
1992 and 1994: visiting professor, University of Munich, Center for Economic Studies
1993-95: part time professor of economic integration, Istituto di Studi Europei A. De Gasperi, Rome
1994: visiting professor, Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna
1995-1999: graduate teacher of Economic Dynamics, Ph D Programme in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Rome “La Sapienza”
1996: member, Selection Committee for Giorgio Mortara scholarships, Bank of Italy
1997, 1998, 1999: President, Selection Committee for Giorgio Mortara scholarships, Bank of Italy
1997-99: President, Consiglio di indirizzo in Economia, Faculty of Economics, University of Rome ``La Sapienza’’
1999: visiting professor, University of Porto, Portugal
1999: member, PhD Committee, Université de Paris 2
2000: member, PhD Committee, Université d’Evry Val d’Essonne
2000: visiting professor, Université de Paris X
2001: visiting professor, Deakin University, Australia
1995-2001: Director, CIDEI (Centro Interdipartimentale Di Economia Internazionale), University of Rome “La Sapienza”
1992-2003: graduate teacher of International Monetary Economics, Master in Economics, CORIPE, Turin
2005-2010: member, scientific committee, University of Rome La Sapienza Press
2012: member, PhD Committee, Deakin University, Australia
1957-59: military service, lieutenant in the Italian Army, Alpini troops
Member: Società italiana degli economisti, European Economic Association (founding member), American Economic Association, International Economics and Finance Society, Society for Economic Measurement.
Biographed in Who’s Who in Europe, Who’s Who in the World, etc.
Italian (mother tongue), English (fluent), French (fluent), German (basic)
International monetary economics; continuous time econometrics; mathematical methods and models of economic dynamics. Recipient of several research grants by national and international institutions.
About thirty books, most of them in English by leading international publishers, and about one hundred and sixty articles in Italian and foreign journals, collective works, etc. (a selected list is attached).
1. International Finance and Open-economy Macroeconomics, 2nd edition (with contributions by Daniela Federici), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2016.
2. The Tobin Tax in a Continuous-time Non-linear Dynamic Model of the Exchange Rate (revised version of 5), Cambridge Journal of Economics 39 (6), 1629-1643, 2015.
3. Chaos in Economics (with Daniela Federici), Journal of Economics and Development Studies 2(1), 51-79, 2014.
4. International Trade Theory and Policy, 2nd edition (with contributions by Federico Trionfetti), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2014.
5. The Tobin Tax in a Continuous-time Non-linear Dynamic Model of the Exchange Rate, ASSRU Discussion Paper 10-2012/II, University of Trento, Department of Economics http://www.assru.economia.unitn.it/Publications.html
6. The Euro/Dollar Exchange Rate: Chaotic or Non-chaotic? A Continuous Time Model with Heterogeneous Beliefs, (with Daniela Federici), Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 36(4), 670-681, 2012.
7. Kaldor, Marrama, Goodwin, Palomba and the Non-linear Theory of the Business Cycle, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Atti dei Convegni Lincei 261, Rome 2011, 115-124.
8. Economic Dynamics, 4th edition (study edition with solutions to exercises), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2010.
9. Giuseppe Palomba and the Lotka-Volterra Equations, Rendiconti Lincei - Scienze Fisiche e Naturali 19 (4) 2008, 347-357.
10. The Euro/Dollar Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate: A Continuous Time Approach (with. M. Belloc and D. Federici), Economia Politica 25(2), August 2008, 243- 264.
11. The Current Account-Interest Rate Relation as a Nonlinear Phenomenon (with M. Belloc), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development 14:2, 145-166, June 2005.
12. Endogenous Growth in an Open Economy and the Real Exchange Rate (with D. Federici), Australian Economic Papers 41:4, 499-518, December 2002.
13. Chaos and the Exchange Rate (with D. Federici), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development 11:2, June 2002, 111-142.
14. Continuous-Time Estimation of an Endogenous Growth Model of an Open Economy (with K. Donaghy and D. Federici), Annals of Regional Science 35, 2001, No. 3, 449-61.
15. International Finance and Open-Economy Macroeconomics, Berlin Heidelberg New York, Springer Verlag , 2001 (Chinese translation 2006, Shangai University of Finance and Economics Press).
16. International Trade: Theory and Policy, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1998 (Chinese translation 2005, Shangai University of Finance and Economics Press).
17. Nonlinear Phenomena in Economics: The Exchange Rate (with G. De Arcangelis), in Nonlinear Analysis, Theory, Methods & Applications 30 (2), 1043-1049, 1997.
18. Economic Dynamics, 3rd edition, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1996 (Chinese translation 2003, China Economics Publishing House, Beijing).
19. International Economics, Vol. II: International Monetary Economics and Open-Economy Macroeconomics (second revised edition), Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1995 (Chinese translation with Addendum especially written for the Chinese edition, China Economics Publishing House, Beijing, 2001).
20. International Economics, Vol. I: The Pure Theory of International Trade (second revised edition), Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1994 (Chinese translation with Addendum especially written for the Chinese edition, China Economics Publishing House, Beijing, 1999).
21. Continuous Time Econometrics: Theory and Applications (editor and contributor), Chapman&Hall, London, 1993.
22. Sensitivity Analysis in Continuous Time Econometric Models, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 24, 8/9, Oct./Nov 1992, 43-55.
23. Exchange Rate Determination: Single Equation or Economy-wide Models? A Test Against the Random Walk (with P.C. Padoan and G. Paladino), in Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 14, November 1990, 965-992.
24. International Economics, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg Berlin New York, 1986 and 1987.
25. The Functional Form of the Aggregate Import Demand Equation: Italy, 1960-1980 (with M.L. Petit), in Economics Letters 11, 1983, 145-148.
26. Policy Simulations with a Continuous Time Macrodynamic Model of the Italian Economy: A Preliminary Analysis (with P.C. Padoan), in Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 4, 205-224, 1982.
27. Qualitative Analysis and Econometric Estimation of Continuous Time Dynamic Models, Amsterdam, North-Holland, 1981.
28. Métodos y modelos matematicos de la dinamica economica, Tecnos, Madrid, 1975 (Spanish translation of 29).
29. Mathematical Methods and Models in Economic Dynamics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1971.
30. The Role of Commercial Banks in Foreign Exchange Speculation, Mathematical Appendix (with B. Cutilli), in Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, June 1963.