GRUPPO SPELEOLOGICO TODI
fondato nel 1969

SITO UFFICIALE

1969-2009 : 40° ANNIVERSARIO DELLA FONDAZIONE DEL GST
IN OCCASSIONE DEI 40 ANNI DEL GST:

MOSTRA

" L'ACQUA DEL CONVENTO "

TODI, PALAZZI COMUNALI-SALA DELLE PIETRE- 7/15 MARZO 2009

ESPLORAZIONI SPELEOSUBACQUEE NEI CONVENTI DI TODI.
contatti
Gruppo Speleologico Todi
Via MezzoMuro, 5 -06059 TODI (PG) Italy
mail to: gruppospeleotodi@libero.it
NEWS 2008
SU TODI E TERRITORIO, NOTIZIE SULLA FONDAZIONE DELLA PRIMA ABBAZIA PREMOSTRATENSE IN ITALIA , A TODI.

INTRAGEO-SCAVI AL VICUS MARTIS TUDERTIUM

NEL 2009, 40° ANNIVERSARIO DELLA FONDAZIONE DEL GRUPPO SPELEOLOGICO TODI
TITOLO
Inserire testo
TODI UNDERGROUND

The work of a group of speleologists and all research and studies into the underground system, including research in archives, exploration, surveys, images, geological and technical descriptions are relative to classical speleology. This brief statement serves to underline how “potholing in artificial underground environments” offers a valid support to thorough archaeological campaigns and those involved in this activity are fully aware of the differences between the two specializations, even though there is an ever-increasing fusion of the two disciplines. Until now, one aspect of archaeology that has not been fully covered, is artificial underground constructions which, through on site visits, show the work carried out, the progress of work, and the equipment and techniques involved. Archaeologists and engineers analyse the data as it comes to light during the excavations and what the speleologists can do, other than visiting those areas which are particularly difficult to access, is to collect data in a continuous and scientific manner, for every particular cavity, and to provide, together with a description of the underground manufactured aspects, details concerning construction techniques, the materials used and any archaeological finds, a homogeneous view of what is there in order to complete our knowledge of what would otherwise be an inaccessible place.


CHRONOLOGY OF UNDERGROUND TODI

Todi’s tunnel system, which has represented the only source of water (Todi had no aqueduct) and the particular hydrological structure of the hill, as a drainage system of spring water, still has a certain importance today, thanks to the restoration works which have always been carried out through the ages.
The construction techniques of the tunnels vary to according to their use:
drainage, distribution, adduction, sewerage and for the various times in which they were made, and also for the strata or layers the tunnels cross: in the parts dug out in conglomerate (a compact, permeable layers) the tunnels usually have no dressing, while if there is a stratum of clay (which is impermeable and incoherent) or if there is some filling material (which is permeable and unstable) the tunnels are dressed and have their own drainage system.
This premise is essential because in some parts there are diverse construction typologies, which do not necessarily mean there is a chronological order but rather that these factors depended on the adjustments to meet the diverse stratifications.
La realizzazione dei primi cunicoli, dei pozzi e delle cisterne, si attesta nella seconda fase di Urbanizzazione dell’ antica Tuder (Todi), tra il II e il I sec. a.C. Dopo la caduta dell’Impero Romano (476 d.C), Il sistema idrico ipogeo, per mancanza di manutenzione e a causa dell’ incuria, subì un progressivo e inesorabile degrado.
Various restoration work has been carried out on the underground tunnels, which were used for a number of different uses in the post-ancient period. A typical example can found in the configuration of the Fonte (Fountain) Scarnabecco tunnels (1241), in which the former tunnels were adapted to supply the new fountain with water. Some parts of the tunnels have been restored (waterproofing of the bed), other parts are closed off, while others were lengthened in order to find a richer water bearing stratum.

The XIII century is the most interesting phase for the history of the tunnels and cisterns. It was then that city underwent a radical transformation, and then, just as it was for the first inhabitants of the hill, there was the pressing need to find water sources and to stabilise the subsurface. This work included restoring the running of old pipelines and cisterns and a new aqueduct was built. Other than the construction of the aforementioned Scarnabecco Fountain, in 1262 the cistern under Piazza del Popolo (which was rediscovered during repaving work) was reopened. In 1275, with the drafting of the Town Statute, regulations concerning the drainage of surface and underground water were established. In particular, the regulations stated than rainwater running of the roofs should drain off to the cisterns which were closed up for the winter and then opened up at the “calends of June” until the Feast of St. Angelo in September. The water could, however, only be used for cooking.

In the years between 1280 and 1290 archive records mention the construction of a new water system. The system was based on a series of cisterns on the “Capitol Hill” or the Rocca, and an aqueduct which carried the water to the Piazza del Comune cisterns and from there to a public fountain. The aqueduct was removed in 1479 as it was no longer efficient.

The 1337 and 1551 Statutes confirm the previously established regulations and attest to the correct condition of the system and, in particular the last draft of the Statutes mentions that the Scarnabecco Fountain could draw water from the some cisterns: cisternam stantem sub voltis scalarum palationum dicti communis, and the cisternam stantes subtus seu iuxta palatium novum which are in the area near the town porticos.

In the 16th century, the drainage system was modified and water from the San Fortunato tunnel was used to supply the new fountain commissioned by Bishop Angelo Cesi in Via della Rua. This was done by connecting the monumental fountain to the old pipe and by blocking off two cisterns, which cannot be dated with any certainty and which are no longer visible today.

In the following centuries it seems that the hygienic-sanitary aspect of the cisterns was the main characteristic rather than the maintenance aspect. So much was this so that the cisterns were frequently emptied.
Around the mid-18th century the first signs of damage caused by poor maintenance of the underground system were seen: the city wall along Via Piana collapsed which led to lengthy restoration work which lasted over a century and cost the Papal States enormous amounts.

The petition Todi sent to Pope Pius VII 2 July 1814 to show how serious things were and offers an interesting view of the situation:

“Most Holy father the principal buildings which adorn the City of Todi are on a hill top, the lower level of which has alongside a castle wall and a solid fortification. This wall was erected at the end of 1760 to compensate the serious damage which a water source on the upper part of the hill caused and which, if not carefully guarded, will spread to the underground passages and not only weaken the foundations of some houses but will weaken the whole lower stratum of the hill and threaten all the buildings above. It was with this in mind that His Holiness Clement XIII with a special decree signed 27th August 1760 ordered the Reverend Apostolic Chamber to supply six thousand scudi in favour of this unfortunate city, and that such sum be used to build a large strong wall. Recent ministers have placed little importance on controlling the water flows and water has now overflowed into the underwater caverns …. Thus the water has flowed towards the foundations of much of the above described wall and has washed away the ground around the base. House foundations have also been eroded and there are cracks in many parts into which water and rain water can infiltrate and lead to further threats of all round ruin….”.

With the first financial contributions which came after petitioning the Holy See came one of the most typical examples of how the problem concerning the shoring of the hillside was faced in the 19th century. Work on the Via Piana site went on from 1814 until 1889, except for a short break in 1820. A solution to the continuous collapse of the counter-forts was found in more recent times by the drastic solution of knocking down the wall and by bringing the ground to street level and from then on there were no major episodes of subsiding.
There were similar episodes of collapses of ancient buildings in the Valle Inferiore (Lower Valley) area and the Madonna Lucretia Convent. At the start of the 19th century all Todi was one huge building site in order to repair the damage caused by the collapse of the drainage system. In light of this, the first town map, the Leandro Astancolle Map, depicted, for the first time, the cisterns and tunnels which were then practicable.
MASSA MARTANA: SCAVI AL VICUS MARTIS TUDERTIUM
SCAVI AL VICUS MARTIS TUDERTIUM

Nel mese di giugno 2008 è stata avviata la prima campagna di scavi archeologici nell’area di Santa Maria in Pantano, piccolo nucleo abitativo nel comune di Massa Martana (PG) sorto intorno all’omonima chiesa del XIII secolo, la quale si affaccia direttamente sull’attuale Via Flaminia.

Il progetto di ricerca, diretto dal dott. Paolo Bruschetti, è stato realizzato grazie alla collaborazione tra Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici dell’umbria, Intrageo, Drew University- Medison, NJ e comune di Massa Martana. Le indagini sono state condotte da un gruppo di studenti americani, guidati dal professor John Muccigrosso e con il coordinamento generale dell’impresa archeologica Intrageo di Todi.

Nella zona già Becatti aveva proposto di collocare il Vicus Martis Tudertium, attestato da numerose epigrafi provenienti da questa località e da identificare con la Statio ad Martis sulla Flaminia ricordata dai vasi di Vicarello, dall’Itinerario di Antonino e dalla Tabula Peutingeriana. Il vicus sorgeva presso una diramazione che collegava il percorso alla Via Amerina e quindi a Todi, costituendo un avamposto e uno scalo di Tuder sulla Flaminia, concepito e fondato dalla città stessa, a cui infatti si richiama nel nome.

Nonostante i numerosi indizi e ritrovamenti, l’area non è stata mai oggetto di indagini scientifiche; la campagna di scavo, quindi, è nata innanzitutto con l’obiettivo di contribuire alla conoscenza del territorio, ma anche di apportare nuovi dati utili allo studi dei vici; l’iniziativa, inoltre, si inserisce in un più vasto programma di valorizzazione del territorio di Massa Martana e dei comuni limitrofi situati lungo la Via Flaminia, allo scopo di migliorare la fruizione dei luoghi d’importanza storico-archeologica.

Le operazioni di scavo hanno permesso di portare in luce, al di sotto di una serie di modeste strutture conservate per alzati esigui, una serie di strati di natura alluvionale conservati per un’altezza media di circa un metro, che in parte coprivano, in parte semplicemente defunzionalizzavano e obliteravano, alcune strutture murarie con paramento in un’opera vittata piuttosto irregolare, realizzata in pietrame locale (calcarenite, travertino, arenaria), che conservano ancora parte del rivestimento parietale.

Si tratta di due muri paralleli, distanti circa otto metri l’uno dall’altro e orientati E-W, dei quali si è individuato soltanto il limite E; il muro N termina con un blocco posto in verticale, a formare una sorta di cantonale, mentre quello S si lega ad un altro setto murario orientato N-S, terminante anch’esso con un blocco parallelepipedo posto in verticale. Presso quest’angolo è stato praticato un approfondimento, che ha permesso di verificare che le strutture si conservano per un alzato notevole (oltre un metro), nonché di rintracciare la fossa di fondazione. Lo stesso approfondimento ha consentito di recuperare il piano di calpestio, costituito da un battuto di calce e frammenti di laterizi, molto simile ad un cocciopesto.

Le indagini geofisiche che hanno affiancato gli scavi, condotte con la collaborazione del Centro di Eccellenza dell’Università di Perugia (prof. M. Gualtieri), hanno rintracciato (oltre a numerose altre strutture nell’area a sud del saggio, alcune molto ben leggibili) i due muri verso W per un’estensione di 17 metri. È stato quindi aperto un altro piccolo saggio verso W per verificare l’attendibilità dei dati, ed è stato infatti scoperto il seguito del muro N, del quale peraltro non è stata ancora individuata l’estremità W.

Le strutture, alte circa 2mt, oltre a rafforzare l’ipotesi dell’esistenza del vicus, gettano solide basi per la prosecuzione delle ricerche, trattandosi di un vasto ambiente (almeno 17 x 8) con un invidiabile stato di conservazione dei muri perimetrali, defunzionalizzato, forse, da una calamità naturale, di cui resta da capire la natura e la funzione, oltre che la datazione, anche se dati di natura ancora indiziaria permettono di fornire almeno il terminus ante quem della piena età imperiale per la prima edificazione della struttura.

Si auspica pertanto la futura continuazione degli scavi e degli studi, che forniranno dati più precisi dal punto di vista sia cronologico che planimetrico, allo scopo di poter aggiungere questo e i nuovi edifici che si porteranno alla luce agli altri monumenti d’interesse archeologico che caratterizzano il territorio, potenziando e valorizzando il percorso di fruizione turistica dell’antica via Flaminia.
IMMAGINI DELLE PROSPEZIONI GEO MAGNETICHE: A SINISTRA STRUTTURE SEPOLTE IN EVIDENZA CON COLORE BIANCO. A DESTRA FOTO AEREA DI S.MARIA IN PANTANO.
IL GRUPPO SPELEOLOGICO TODI
Il GST, fondato nel 1969, svolge attività di ricerca ed esplorazione di cavità naturali ed artificiali. Opera prevalentemente in Umbria ed in particolare nella Media Valle del Tevere.
INTRAGEO
WWW.INTRAGEO.COM

L'impresa opera in vari settori:
- recupero, tutela e valorizzazione del patrimonio ipogeo, dei siti archeologici e delle grotte naturali
- interventi speciali e servizi per scavi archeologici e in sotterraneo.
LINK DI SPELEOLOGIA
LA SCINTILENA: notizie dal mondo della speleologia
Vai al sito della SCINTILENA
S.S.I.
Società Speleologica Italiana
ENTRA NEL SITO DELLA della SSI per accedere ai vari link:

CAI - Corpo Nazionale Soccorso Alpino Speleologico
CAI - club alpino italiano
CID - Centro Italiano di Documentazione Speleologica
UIS - Union Internationale de Spèlèologie
SOCIETA' SPELEOLOGICA ITALIANA
scheletro di Grotta Bella
GREENPEACE
sito ufficiale
greenpeace
HOME | il gruppo speleologico todi | intrageo | todi sotterranea | todi e il territorio | news | link